Feedback forum

We welcome your feedback and suggestions.

N.B. This is a public forum. If you wish to submit comments in private, please contact us.

1. Ideas for less competent people

I would love to use my career for good but I'm not competent enough to do most of the jobs suggested by 80,000 Hours. What do I do?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Updated career reviews with less risk and lower expenses

The main career reviews seem to expect people to work several years at top universities for extremely expensive degrees towards high-risk demanding careers. The rest seem like a gamble, owing to being outdated. Less risky and costly career reviews with better work-life balance that are more up to date would be hugely appreciated as there does not seem to be a decent alternative to 80000hours. Despite not being as impactful, one could argue it is the responsibility of this organization to do so.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Protection of democracy as an urgent global problem

Without freedom of speech a project such 80,000 Hours would not be possible. Academics, researchers and other thinkers have limited influence in a democratic system; in an autocratic system they may have zero influence. For example, academics and researchers may decide that a certain policy towards AI is the safest policy, but they still need to convince legislators to implement that policy. In a democratic system that is already difficult, where legislators are more concerned with vote-winning near-sighted policies. But in an autocratic system academics and researchers may not be free to express their concerns, let alone influence government policy.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Publicize and write an article about the benefits of distributed computation and how it can be used to make the world better

Folding@home is a distributed computation model employed by medical science researching, and its namesake is a reference to the folding of proteins, which is a biological process involved in the creation of proteins in their final, 3D state.

Running it during work, or during idle is an option, and you can kill the mining whenever you'd like. If people spent one day a week incurring this additional load on their computer, there could be a lot of research done in this area.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Podcast: adjust speech speed to that of guest so playback speed can be regulated better.

Rob Wiblin recommends using playback effects to adjust the listening speed for effective podcast listening. Great advice but his podcast is usually the one podcast where this is hardest to do because he usually speaks much faster than the guest. That makes speeding up an episode hard because Rob becomes hard to follow when the guest's speed is set for the perfect focus level.
    I understand that Rob slowing down his speech will make episodes longer, but the ability to regulate the speed will make for better understanding and save some time again (provided you increase listening speed).

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Provide a standard (client-neutral) podcast feed

The podcast page <https://80000hours.org/podcast/> provides links to listen through spotify, apple, etcetera, but it lacks a standard, vendor-neutral feed. Pretty much every other podcast has an RSS/Atom-based feed, so people can use any client they like.

Depending on how you currently create your podcast, such a feed might already be generated, but simply not linked to on the website?

Note the website does have an RSS feed, but it appears to only present the episodes as blog posts, so podcast apps (e.g. AntennaPod) do not know how to obtain the audio files.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Potential Problems to Research

Fixing globalization, switching from fossil fuels to nuclear energy (with proper regulation), and changing the model of mainstream medicine to Good Medicine (advocated by Dr. Frank Lipman) seem to be worth researching. They could have an enormously large positive impact as can the tax on the world’s wealthiest people for the world’s poorest people proposed by Bill Gates.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Give serious consideration to the recent UN 2019 report on climate change.

I think it reveals the issue to be more pressing than 80,000 Hours currently suggests. In fact, it makes me really doubt the validity of a lot of the website's content because an apocalypse seems imminent to me.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Is program evaluation a high impact career path?

I'd be interested in reading your perspective

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Matthew Legge - Are We Done Fighting?

I'd love to see a podcast with Matthew Legge - author of the little-known book 'Are We Done Fighting?'. I'm no expert but it seems to me that working towards a culture which better enables one to discuss ideas and explain one's own opinions effectively to those who disagree, appreciate the viewpoints of those on the other side of the political spectrum, become familiar with one's own cognitive biases, and to change one's mind, would be a huge contributor to reducing existential risks and speeding the progress and application of humanist ideas. This is the topic of Matthew's book and…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Benefits of developing self replicating technology exceeds all other possibilities.

If it takes 10 years of high investment to develop a set of machines that can duplicate itself and deliver a large and increasing set of goods and services ( from mining to manufacture to delivery) and it takes 2 weeks to produce a copy, then within 2 further years, there can be one for every person. That outcome exceeds anything else.
    It ends poverty (every person has automated systems to create whatever they responsibly choose).
    It allows solutions to climate change (at several different levels - putting one such machine on the moon allows us to develop space technology…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Timer to optimize time spent on website

Make the message immediately tangible — show a timer indicating average time spent by a visitor and challenge the visitor to use that time optimally. "You're going to spend 60 seconds on this website - what should you read?" — focus on funneling them via low-effort questions and cues towards key articles, information, and discovering what will engage and interest them

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Article on Outsourcing

Hello 80,000 Hours,

After reading your article on here about web designing I have become interested in it. However, it seems to me that is a high risk job to be outsourced. Will all web designing, web development, and programming jobs be outsourced or will those jobs always exist in the USA and the UK?

• A college student

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Platform to connect ppl who are interested in collaborating on research part-time

I would very much like to have a community of people who are capable of doing research in the areas you consider relevant/high impact (for example proven by having a PhD) but chose not to be in academia and instead have a regular job (and possibly kids), and hence only a few hours a week for doing research. I‘m in this position myself (PhD in applied math, self-taught data scientist) and would like to contribute to research in the areas you suggest in your blog, but outside aof a traditional academic setting, and I do not know how to find…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. CLIMATE CHANGE , the easiest way to combatcarbon emission percent so every one understands a reduce the % reduction you want to make a reali

CLIMATE CHANGE , the easiest way to combatcarbon emission percent so every one understands a reduce the % reduction you want to make a reality test eg !10%
    every sunday cut of all electricity for one day to a town ban all car , and transport for sunday then the real truth shows the effect of now the reduction needed to achieve as the greens want and the childrens demonstration
    is realy doing what they want to achive now

20% reduction 2 days per week achieved now no power , transport unless its generated by non coal fired or atomic…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. In depth report on the pressing problem of democratic reform

Walter Schiedel's research shows that throughout human history, inequality has only ever been reduced through violence. In an area of rising global inequality, we have an urgent need to introduce mechanisms that alleviate it nonviolently. The solution? Radical democracy globally. You mention this field as potentially promising, but an in depth look is warranted.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Gene Editing

I think that generic engineering is a currently under-recognized issue. I think that in your rankings of global priority areas, there is a significant gap that leaves out this very important issue. To put it briefly, in same vein as bioweapon risk, this technology democratizes the ability to cause cataclysmic destruction analogous to nuclear weapon risk by orders of magnitude. For instance, small changes in bee genomes reducing reproducibility (as has been discussed in the context of mosquitos) could have as much damage to the global food system as the a nuclear winter would now. The social and economic repercussions…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback forum

Categories