Feedback forum

We welcome your feedback and suggestions.

N.B. This is a public forum. If you wish to submit comments in private, please contact us.

1. Please do a podcast episode about how to decide if academia is right for you.

I have noticed that several of your podcast touch on this important topic, particularly asking academics about it. However, the academics often avoid the question. Perhaps you can collect all of these together into one podcast on the topic or find a interviewee to discuss it in detail. Best Tim.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Why isn't "Biorisk" (or something similar) available as a filter in the Job Board?

Is it considered under "Other"? If so, why is that, considering how high it ranks in your other cause area articles?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Gene Editing

I think that generic engineering is a currently under-recognized issue. I think that in your rankings of global priority areas, there is a significant gap that leaves out this very important issue. To put it briefly, in same vein as bioweapon risk, this technology democratizes the ability to cause cataclysmic destruction analogous to nuclear weapon risk by orders of magnitude. For instance, small changes in bee genomes reducing reproducibility (as has been discussed in the context of mosquitos) could have as much damage to the global food system as the a nuclear winter would now. The social and economic repercussions…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Providing a Nutrition Guide

Providing a guide how to nourish to be most productive. And how to avoid the most common risks by serious dideases.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Podcast addict (android version) shows error while streaming or downloading episodes

It shows error:The server hosting the podcast (feedproxy.gogle.com) is refusing to respond to the request.. I know I can access it on soundcloud, but it will be great if you can fix this.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’d like to fix this ASAP. Can you give me more information – is this still happening? What app are you using so I can try to replicate? What is the exact feed address that is refusing to respond? :)

7. Publicize and write an article about the benefits of distributed computation and how it can be used to make the world better

Folding@home is a distributed computation model employed by medical science researching, and its namesake is a reference to the folding of proteins, which is a biological process involved in the creation of proteins in their final, 3D state.

Running it during work, or during idle is an option, and you can kill the mining whenever you'd like. If people spent one day a week incurring this additional load on their computer, there could be a lot of research done in this area.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. fix broken download links for 80000 hours book

The download-link for the 80k hours book at http://book.80000hours.org/download/xfFwjmU) is broken. Context: This is the link which is sent via mail as a consequence of filling in https://80000hours.org/gift.

where can I find a working link to forward to friends?
    Thanks!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Potential Problems to Research

Fixing globalization, switching from fossil fuels to nuclear energy (with proper regulation), and changing the model of mainstream medicine to Good Medicine (advocated by Dr. Frank Lipman) seem to be worth researching. They could have an enormously large positive impact as can the tax on the world’s wealthiest people for the world’s poorest people proposed by Bill Gates.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. How he could change his career.

I know a man that changed his career and he has big impact even 30 years after his Death in two countries.first he was a scientist but....

when he was young....
    "He was coming back with his mother. There was a poor person who had no warm clothes, trembling on the street corner. It was a cold winter, and he was empty-handed. In the morning, Mostafa became severely ill. The night before, he could not bring himself to sleep at home in a warm bed"
    Mostafa Chamran

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Global Coordination

Make a problem profile on improving global coordination

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. "Do One Better" podcast by Alberto Lidji; interviews with people at non-profits practicing EA

I recommend checking out the "Do One Better" podcast for people in the non-profit space practicing EA. For example this podcast from Craig Silverstein (Google's first employee) and Mary Obelnicki on establishing their charitable org, Echidna which is focused on girl's education in the developing world. Here's an excerpt which I found particularly insightful:

"one of the biggest takeaways from working in the developing world is to really think about the privilege of ‘access’ that wealthy organisations and wealthy communities have. And, as a philanthropist, who has access to you to make the ask easiest. It’s their friends and their…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Protection of democracy as an urgent global problem

Without freedom of speech a project such 80,000 Hours would not be possible. Academics, researchers and other thinkers have limited influence in a democratic system; in an autocratic system they may have zero influence. For example, academics and researchers may decide that a certain policy towards AI is the safest policy, but they still need to convince legislators to implement that policy. In a democratic system that is already difficult, where legislators are more concerned with vote-winning near-sighted policies. But in an autocratic system academics and researchers may not be free to express their concerns, let alone influence government policy.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Great impact could be had by fostering collective impact

Instead of focusing purely on fields that can be packed with clear evidence, people with the right skill set could have a disproportionate impact by acting as facilitators of various organisations operating in their local region towards similar goals and coordinating their efforts and encouraging collective learning and impact. https://ssir.org/articles/entry/collective_impact

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Please modify or delete the heading that appears every time you move up when reading a blog post.

Perhaps most people don't read like me, but I often move up to re-read something etc, and it's annoying to have that appear each time.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Potential bias in some conclusions

You may have overlooked some crucial aspects about the hiring process and career capital, looking at what they are on paper but neglecting what they are in practice. This seems to be a reoccurring theme. An excessive amount of importance also seems to be put on academic or scientific prestige too and a misunderstanding of it.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Evaluating the impact capabilities of Urban Planners

Much of the work of a planner requires mediation between major facets of society: government, citizenry, and private interests. It's both policy and constructing the built environment, which has major repercussions on community psyche, health, sustainability, and longevity. For how involved planning is in daily life, it goes widely unrecognized. Can this be examined on the career page?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Search engine optimisation

When someone googles "should I become a", then 80000 hours should be the first on the list and also be on top as an ad.

Similar searches:
    "how to make an impact"
    "what should I do with my life"
    "careers"
    etc

This could easily be done via buying in a recurring SEO service that keeps it at the top.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Discuss empathy and how it is literally imagining looking through other people's eyes and how it relates to that.

Empathy.
    Looking through other people's eyes. Really looking through your own. How this is the truest and most intense form of empathy and the strongest guide...

Also is there research on empathy/ on how everybodies conciousnesses are the same or research that relates to the level of conciousness that everybody has? Cuz if there is then u have evidence that empathy is important and everybody is equal and we should make a world where nobody should suffer.

Please and thank you

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Noncommunicable disease

Hi there,

Thanks for all the great work and analysis you have been doing at 80000 hours. I was just wondering if you had thought about analysing noncommunicable disease as a 'most urgent global issue', particularly the role of malnutrition (undernutrition and overweight/obesity), which has strong links to diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer?

Using your own framework:
    -Scale: This is a massive global issue, which affects all countries around the world. The latest Global Nutrition Report has found that malnutrition directly affects 1 in 3 people around the world. Overweight and obesity is projected to increase in all countries worldwide,…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback forum

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base