Feedback forum

We welcome your feedback and suggestions.

N.B. This is a public forum. If you wish to submit comments in private, please contact us.

1. Career counselor resources

Provide training programs for career counselors who want to learn about how to give advice through an EA lens. And, recommend a few career counselors that members of the community can go to, to get sit down, one-on-one counseling sessions.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Clarify what you're measuring

It seems like "cost vs. impact" is the main measurement for the effectiveness of a cause, but how are you prioritizing "impact"? (ie: reduced deaths, economic growth, environmental healing).
    Specifically, more research has been done on the economics of happiness, and have you been successful in quantifying the impact certain causes have on happiness? Many "first-world" causes (ie: Big Brothers/Big Sisters, foster care, etc.) have more to do with increasing a person's self-worth than health or economic concerns. While these don't rank high in your models (presumably because of the cost of these programs with lower quantifiable results), the personal…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Verification of links and update of research

I have noticed that a few of the links provided on the career guide do not actually work, I advise for all of them to be checked as it appears that some of the original articles have been moved to new addresses.

Another suggestion is to update the articles on the website in general (and the statistics mentioned). I noticed that many were written in 2016, which is recent, but I think many could benefit and be even more convincing if they were updated with the newest statistics (or maybe new research is necessary).

It also seems that the feedback…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. The risk of media

one of the biggest problems: media media media http://neilpostman.org/

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Career suggestion: patent attorney

Patent attorneys are well paid (6 figure salaries possible after qualification with 5+ years' experience: http://www.insidecareers.co.uk/career-advice/patent-attorney-salaries/) and the profession is not that well known amongst STEM graduates. It's a possibility for someone who has a technical background but doesn't want to go into a strictly quantitative profession. There is good potential for earning to give.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Podcast: adjust speech speed to that of guest so playback speed can be regulated better.

Rob Wiblin recommends using playback effects to adjust the listening speed for effective podcast listening. Great advice but his podcast is usually the one podcast where this is hardest to do because he usually speaks much faster than the guest. That makes speeding up an episode hard because Rob becomes hard to follow when the guest's speed is set for the perfect focus level.
    I understand that Rob slowing down his speech will make episodes longer, but the ability to regulate the speed will make for better understanding and save some time again (provided you increase listening speed).

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Matthew Legge - Are We Done Fighting?

I'd love to see a podcast with Matthew Legge - author of the little-known book 'Are We Done Fighting?'. I'm no expert but it seems to me that working towards a culture which better enables one to discuss ideas and explain one's own opinions effectively to those who disagree, appreciate the viewpoints of those on the other side of the political spectrum, become familiar with one's own cognitive biases, and to change one's mind, would be a huge contributor to reducing existential risks and speeding the progress and application of humanist ideas. This is the topic of Matthew's book and…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Create a career review about antibiotic resistance research?

Antibiotic resistance could cause 10 million deaths a year by 2050 (https://www.antimicrobialsworkinggroup.org/antimicrobial-resistance). Although this may be considered within the field of biomedical research, could the potential impact of reducing the dangers of antibiotic resistance merit its own career review on this website? Could this research tie into the existing profile on factory farming?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Consider adding cyber attacks on your list of global issues

Cyber warfare has the potential to destroy our most critical infrastructures. White hat hackers have already demonstrated how easy it would be to shut down our power grid, destabilize nuclear power plants, and steal sensitive government intelligence. I haven't done enough research myself to accurately graph the scale, solvability, and neglectedness, but if I had to estimate, I would say scale is at 12, neglectedness at 7, and solvability at 8

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add a donation button on Google Podcasts

Google Podcasts now allows for a donation button to be included directly a podcasts page. See 99% Invisible's podcast page for reference.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Workless Work?

Are jobs that mostly only require one's presence in the repertoire of possible job suggestions? Such jobs can be a good way of earning a living while doing independent research and writing. I, for example, am a security guard and spend about 75% of my work time reading. I also make a decent enough salary that I can donate a substantial amount of my income.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Expand to France !

You should definitely expand your public to European countries, translate your research, and build partnerships with meaningful companies you might have identified.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. The video in the "take a break" page of the decision tool is not available in Canada

...and probably other countries. Maybe you should replace it with a video that is available everywhere?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. "Work with us" page is outdated

The only oppurtunity listed links to a page which talks about a 2015 or 2016 start date. The page itself says it was last updated 2014.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Target audience

So you're use of examples such as UK specifics are great for a UK citizen like myself, but your target audience can be a little off sometimes. It often seems as though you're focusing on people who already have large amounts of career capital and can move easily, or those who have significant earnings already, not those at the start of their careers. You often tout most people as earning $40,000 a year, this is pure nonsense for most graduates in the UK. A lot of us (i don't know the figures) end up in menial entry-level jobs, if we…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Career planning tool date field is backward for americans.

In here:
    "When are you next going to review your plan?"
    The date field is DD/MM/YYYY, which Americans will find backwards. The international standard that avoids this is putting year first YYYY/MM/DD

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback forum

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base