Feedback forum

We welcome your feedback and suggestions.

N.B. This is a public forum. If you wish to submit comments in private, please contact us.

1. Fix footnote in Climate change (extreme risks)

Footnote 3 in Climate change (extreme risks) (https://80000hours.org/problem-profiles/climate-change/) is not used in the document.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Wrong link in book

The link to the full review of Product Manager in the mini review in the .mobi form of the book points to Data Science.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Hey guys have you thought about doing a problem profile on global financial stability? Existential risks of another world-wide recession?

Hey guys have you thought about doing a problem profile on global financial stability? Existential risks of another world-wide recession?

Love 80,0000 hours thanks for all the content!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. broken link

Found a broken link on this page: https://80000hours.org/career-reviews/tech-entrepreneurship/

The link with the text "You might also like to read about our approach to rating careers" leads to an outdated page.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Community College and Degree Reviews

Hello 80,000 Hours,

I'm Jacob. I am a community college student who constantly reads through your works to help myself decided on my educational outputs and career ideas. I wanted to make two suggestions.

One, could 80,000 post a review on community college in their blog? The pros, cons, and 80,000 Hours overall thoughts on community college?

Also, much like how you all have a career review page could you have a degree review page? Instead of listing out jobs it would list different BA degrees (English, Business, etc.) MA degrees, and PHDS? I know the career reviews has some…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Benefits of developing self replicating technology exceeds all other possibilities.

If it takes 10 years of high investment to develop a set of machines that can duplicate itself and deliver a large and increasing set of goods and services ( from mining to manufacture to delivery) and it takes 2 weeks to produce a copy, then within 2 further years, there can be one for every person. That outcome exceeds anything else.
    It ends poverty (every person has automated systems to create whatever they responsibly choose).
    It allows solutions to climate change (at several different levels - putting one such machine on the moon allows us to develop space technology…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Twitter links on pages don't have pre-written text!

Every time I try to share your article through twitter (by clicking the tweet link above the article), I get a popup ready to post to twitter with the link to your article, BUT THERE IS NO PRE-WRITTEN TEXT (like a copy of the article title).

I know it's not much work to copy/paste the article title, or to write my own text, but I suspect there are many people who want to share your post on Twitter but are too lazy to write in something.

I think you're missing out on some re-tweets ;)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Native advertising

Hello! I am a Media Business Analyst at Qwertize and I noticed that you do not have native advertising. It brings additional quality content to your website that looks completely native to the configuration. It increases digital advertising revenues by attracting more viewers to your page!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Problem profile on 1-6C climate change

There's a profile on tail risk of climate change, but it seems to me like the potential politically destabilising impact and many knock-on effects on global society of even 2 degree climate change is worth an appraisal. There's also the non-zero chance that even 2-4C degree climate change becomes unmanageable. Would you consider writing a profile on this topic please? Thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Ideas for less competent people

I would love to use my career for good but I'm not competent enough to do most of the jobs suggested by 80,000 Hours. What do I do?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. EA careers that mesh well with parenthood. Profiles of people with high impact who were also raising kids.

There are a lot of parents (especially mothers) who take a career break or scale back on the hours worked in order to raise a family. How can these people go on to have a significant impact? Please profile people who had a large impact without neglecting their families. The first example that comes to mind is Jane Jacobs. What to do when the bottlenecks are limited time and career capital. Maybe talk about the role of volunteering in building civic society and the backbone of communities, the role of volunteering vs paid work.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Collaboration with and/or research checking of Paul Hawken's Drawdown book

Paul Hawken's suggestions of how to effectively move into the 22nd century are intriguing, and I would love to know how a crosscheck of his assumptions and research prove or disprove his conclusions.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add a simple way to point out errata & typos in posts (+ errata for the Julia Galef podcast transcript)

(Solution might be the same as https://80000hourshelp.uservoice.com/forums/220029-feedback-forum/suggestions/6940000-get-annotate-able-texts )
    This might improve quality, as only a few people who notice problems make their way here, and neither this feedback & ideas page nor the Disqus comments section seem the right place for a typo thread.

For now, here are my nitpicks for the Julia Galef podcast transcript -- https://80000hours.org/2017/09/is-it-time-for-a-new-scientific-revolution-julia-galef-on-how-to-make-humans-smarter/ -- not so much because I'm a stickler for accuracy but because some of them seem like they could impede understanding:

Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction by Phillip Tetlock.
    Phillip > Philip

Julia is a writer and speaking focused on…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Account for Introverts/Extroverts

As somebody in their fifties who has never found fulfilling work, the core problem was that the things i trained for did not account for the fact I am very introverted and cannot work happily with other people. The pressure (and hence my training) was directed at helping others to the exclusion of my own core personality and this caused me health issues and massive stress and has left me as a long term unemployed person in poverty, which I am sure isn't anybody's dream! Also please be aware that there are many bars to succeeding if your pursuit counters…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Protection of democracy as an urgent global problem

Without freedom of speech a project such 80,000 Hours would not be possible. Academics, researchers and other thinkers have limited influence in a democratic system; in an autocratic system they may have zero influence. For example, academics and researchers may decide that a certain policy towards AI is the safest policy, but they still need to convince legislators to implement that policy. In a democratic system that is already difficult, where legislators are more concerned with vote-winning near-sighted policies. But in an autocratic system academics and researchers may not be free to express their concerns, let alone influence government policy.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback forum

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base