How can we improve?

Meaning/helping people

A very interesting read: "I could do anything, if I only knew what it was" by Barbara Sher.
In relation to step 1, meaning and helping others, this book gives a perspective that helped me letting go of beliefs about 'passion' and the idea of being selfish when pursuing things for myself and not 'for helping others'.

"You have to forget whatever you were taught about 'meaningful work' and start noticing whatever has meaning to you. [...] The very first step to finding work that fits you is to understand the connection between doing what you love and doing something worth doing, because they are one and the same thing. [...] You'll never be happy just amusing yourself. [...] If you think it's selfish to put yourself first like this, think again, because when you're doing work you love, it's a gift to the world as well! Picasso wasn't trying to help anybody. Einstein wasn't either. [...] That work seemed very important to them and they couldn't get their minds off it. Their efforts were personal, self-absorbed, een selfish. [...] Even the saviors of this world have some kind of personal vision they're fulfilling.

Thank you for the food for thought, I'm off to step 2!

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)