How can we improve?

Is happiness in the eye of the beholder?

Hello!
Thank you so much for your work!
I have one wish:
Could you please address in your research and guidance the tension between objective and subjective happiness?
From a pure economic point of view, I agree with your attitude and analysis of where it is best to put our effort and resources. However, I believe that happiness has quite a bit to do with one's psychological state of mind, point of view and perception of "reality", rather than with the "objective" conditions of their "reality".
Surely one's basic needs have to be fulfilled in order for them to be able to be happy, but above that basic point, one's state of mind is crucial in determining their level of happiness (you can be rich and healthy but depressed, envious and unsatisfied and you can be poor and ill but positive, grateful, joyful and happy).
Similarly, above the conditions of one's life, I believe, its content (deep relationships, meaningful actions etc.) is essential for their happiness and quality of life.
So to sum it up, my question is:
If we recognise the huge importance of the state of one's mind and the content of one's life in determining the level of their happiness, in which fields should we put our time, effort and resources in order to benefit the most people in the most effective ways?
(maybe psycological / philosophical / emotional education, societal / cultural change, culture /art / literature / cinema / comedy, family relationships, friendship, community etc.?)
Thank you very much,
Nitai

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon