How can we improve?

Noncommunicable disease

Hi there,

Thanks for all the great work and analysis you have been doing at 80000 hours. I was just wondering if you had thought about analysing noncommunicable disease as a 'most urgent global issue', particularly the role of malnutrition (undernutrition and overweight/obesity), which has strong links to diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer?

Using your own framework:
-Scale: This is a massive global issue, which affects all countries around the world. The latest Global Nutrition Report has found that malnutrition directly affects 1 in 3 people around the world. Overweight and obesity is projected to increase in all countries worldwide, and no country has managed to successfully stop the rise in obesity. This is also not just a problem in developed countries: developing countries suffer from a double burden of nutrition, and often have stunting and obesity coexisting in the same population and even the same person. This will become a bigger problem in developing countries over time, as processed food penetrates these markets.
-Neglectedness: While awareness of the problem does exist, there doesn't seem to be the same focus on it as problems such as climate change (as perhaps evidenced by the lack of mention on your site?)
-Solvability: This is difficult to say because, as previously mentioned, no country has solved this problem yet. That said, there are plenty of things we can be doing, such as advocating for interventions that have shown to work (like taxes on sugary drinks), or doing more research to evaluate other interventions. Also, there are a number of links between malnutrition and other urgent global problems, for example climate change (sustainable food systems), which can result in solution with co-benefits in other areas. It would be beneficial to attract more people to work on this issue, as it is an incredibly complex problem that requires multisectoral and multidisciplinary work to address.

Let me know your thoughts!

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service