How can we improve?

Target audience

So you're use of examples such as UK specifics are great for a UK citizen like myself, but your target audience can be a little off sometimes. It often seems as though you're focusing on people who already have large amounts of career capital and can move easily, or those who have significant earnings already, not those at the start of their careers. You often tout most people as earning $40,000 a year, this is pure nonsense for most graduates in the UK. A lot of us (i don't know the figures) end up in menial entry-level jobs, if we can even get a job after graduating because of the overloaded university system in the UK. Not all of us were lucky enough to go to Oxbridge and be "the best", many of us are stuck trying to find our way with zero direction and low earnings. Whilst I love the concept of 80,000 hours, and some of your advice is great, it's very Silicon Valley, in that everyone is already independently wealthy and has loads of options and can spend a month backpacking round Tibet. Your advice to just try a job for a few months is laughable in the current employment market, especially for technical or scientific areas, I would wholly appreciate articles dedicated to those of us who are stuck in the Catch 22 of needing experience for entry level positions in our desired fields, it is astonishingly difficult to get a job, and often more so to get an internship or placement, especially if you don't have the right degree. Which also means it's impossible to get a PhD in an interesting areas as the competition is extraordinarily high.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)