Feedback forum

We welcome your feedback and suggestions.

N.B. This is a public forum. If you wish to submit comments in private, please contact us.

How can we improve?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. The age factor: a second career at 45

Most of your articles - albeit very informative and well written - seem to direct their attention at either younger people, or those that have made different career choices than me. Having a background in arts and exercise, I find EA extremely attractive, but I only have few skills that will translate into the careers and scenarios. I also have to realize that if I'm to start a new career now, I won't have as many working years as someone twenty years my junior. Is it feasible to factor age into your career reviews and quiz to generate: adjusted lifespan…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 80 000 hours audiobook

More and more of us are listening to books instead of reading them. Could you please record the 80 000 hours book? It would make it accessible to more people. Thank you!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Wrong link in book

The link to the full review of Product Manager in the mini review in the .mobi form of the book points to Data Science.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Foreign Language Quiz

I think it would be amazing if the 80000 hours team developed a quiz similar to the great career quiz to advise on what foreign language one should learn. Languages are a massive element of the current jobs market but most online quizzes just advise which one to take based on your hobbies. It's incredibly confusing. Not to mention I always get a language I already speak - which is French or Spanish. I'd like to see a quiz that takes account of where one is living, their career, possible future trends, jobs currently available for those who speak the…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Workless Work?

Are jobs that mostly only require one's presence in the repertoire of possible job suggestions? Such jobs can be a good way of earning a living while doing independent research and writing. I, for example, am a security guard and spend about 75% of my work time reading. I also make a decent enough salary that I can donate a substantial amount of my income.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Pop-ups definitely shouldn't use Times New Roman

Not good at all, and should be quick to fix.
    http://imgur.com/a/wVimJ

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Critical Feedback

Hi, First of all loved the journey from my first article, I think I've closely read about everything & followed steps like you guys have said. Truly life changing. I'm a Entrepreneur, product developer & designer & I would like to give some feedback which can hopefully improve the user experience & value

1. there is too much emphasis on giving and donating in the start when I start to question what is this again a career guide or a life guide. with every product/service people wait for the Aha! moment like in facebook the first time you signed up…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Jobs for life science majors

Hey nice site. I've been following you for a while, and your content seems well researched and different from the "standard" career advice I normally see. The startup pages are interesting, though I have a feeling the focus tends to be on the tech industry. Can you do a page in biotech startups, or working on the biotech industry in general? There is a page on biomedical research, but biotech is kind of broader in its applications, and there are lots of things you could do besides research. I am doing a degree in molecular biology, and intending to enter…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Twitter links on pages don't have pre-written text!

Every time I try to share your article through twitter (by clicking the tweet link above the article), I get a popup ready to post to twitter with the link to your article, BUT THERE IS NO PRE-WRITTEN TEXT (like a copy of the article title).

I know it's not much work to copy/paste the article title, or to write my own text, but I suspect there are many people who want to share your post on Twitter but are too lazy to write in something.

I think you're missing out on some re-tweets ;)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. broken link

Found a broken link on this page: https://80000hours.org/career-reviews/tech-entrepreneurship/

The link with the text "You might also like to read about our approach to rating careers" leads to an outdated page.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Career reviews index broken

The career reviews index page (https://80000hours.org/career-reviews/) is broken in Chrome on Android decives. The career titles overlap with each other. As a result, the titles are unreadable and some cannot be clicked on.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Meaning/helping people

A very interesting read: "I could do anything, if I only knew what it was" by Barbara Sher.
    In relation to step 1, meaning and helping others, this book gives a perspective that helped me letting go of beliefs about 'passion' and the idea of being selfish when pursuing things for myself and not 'for helping others'.

"You have to forget whatever you were taught about 'meaningful work' and start noticing whatever has meaning to you. [...] The very first step to finding work that fits you is to understand the connection between doing what you love and doing something…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Career quiz: Qualify what "good at math" means

It seems that the way people answer this question may reflect their education backgrounds, gendered /racial social conditioning etc. more than any genuine ability to learn math/science/logic. For instance, its pretty established within psychological literature that men tend to be more confident in their abilities to perform tasks than women (http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/edu/86/1/114/) and that people in general tend to be overconfident about their ability to perform tasks.

I think it would be helpful to add a small qualifier either explaining what "good at math, science and logic" means, or providing some metric with which to gauge one's past ability…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Text Display

(On chrome, 100% zoom, HD monitor) In the standard font, there is no gap between the dot and rest of the letter 'i', making it look like 'l'. This makes it much harder to quickly read through text. Zooming in for example fixes this, but why should the user have to do that?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Fix footnote in Climate change (extreme risks)

Footnote 3 in Climate change (extreme risks) (https://80000hours.org/problem-profiles/climate-change/) is not used in the document.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Page display issue

On the completion page of your newsletter signup, your download link buttons display with 0 margin (Chrome v50), so they are right on top of each other. My guess, based on the styling of the bottom button, is that they originally displayed side by side (the mobi download links has an element style with a left-margin attached to it, which is causing it to display out of alignment with the button above it).

Suggested Fix:
    CSS
    .btn-primary {margin-bottom: 1em;}

and remove the left-margin inline style for the mobi download button.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Should language skills be a part of career capital?

Versatile and valuable for a life time.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Career suggestion: patent attorney

Patent attorneys are well paid (6 figure salaries possible after qualification with 5+ years' experience: http://www.insidecareers.co.uk/career-advice/patent-attorney-salaries/) and the profession is not that well known amongst STEM graduates. It's a possibility for someone who has a technical background but doesn't want to go into a strictly quantitative profession. There is good potential for earning to give.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback forum

Feedback and Knowledge Base